Friday, November 20, 2009

Gold Stars for...


Ok, so every once in a while a television show comes along that blows you away right? For me, that every once in a while is quite literal; although I feel the need to partake in most shows to stay up to the speed on the latest pop-culture lingo, it takes a certain type of show to elicit the kind of excitement that makes me want to scream on a mountain “IIIIII LOOOOVE THIIIS SHOOWWW.” No really, I get that feeling. I had my time in middle school where I felt that way about too many shows, where it actually became stressful attempting to stay on top of the latest episodes…lets face it, the days before online television and tivo were rough. Then there was quite a lull for me; yes, I had 27 glorious episodes of the first season of the O.C. followed by 2 phenomenal seasons of Grey’s Anatomy, but these shows ultimately fell flat on their faces after their initial adulation and enthusiastic reception.

I had been waiting for another show to evoke the mountain screaming feeling in me; then, something happened, Fox aired a trailer for an upcoming show during an episode of American Idol. The preview looked promising and as soon as I saw the words “Created by Ryan Murphy” flash across the screen I was convinced I was in for something innovative coupled with a type of sharp wit that elicits your nerdiest and best laugh. You see, you know those aforementioned middle school shows that I was obsessed with? Ryan Murphy was responsible for one of those—the WB’s (RIP the WB) Popular. Although this show only lasted two seasons, it delivered 22 episodes during its first year of the most ridiculous and imaginative dialogue and story lines. Its characters were fantastic, quirky, and unusual. After Popular’s premature cancellation, Murphy went on to garner much success for his next ingenious creation, Nip/Tuck.

Murphy’s intro brings me back to that promising trailer which emerged into one of the best television shows on the air right now: GLEE. As of now, it is the only FOX show slated for a full season pick-up, as the other 8 million viewers agree, Glee has something special. At a quick glance this could easily appear as another trite high school fable of the popular jock and his shiny, trophy cheerleader extraordinaire girlfriend. I’ve heard other gainsayers state that it’s nothing more than a high school musical rip off. Well, my money says Rachel Berry (the enchanting Lea Michele) would win in a smack down with Vanessa Hudgens’ Gabriella, vocally and most definitely physically.

Not only is Rachel Berry the best character to grace television this year, she’s also the most humble. I try to live by her gold star mantra each day and remember that this blog may be what is precluding my dating options, cause as Rachel said it best, “You might think that all the boys in school wanna tap this…but my myspace schedule keeps me super busy.” Well said, Rach. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go find the nearest mountain...think Johnny Drama and "VICTORYYYYYY."

No comments:

Post a Comment